
Concerned citizens have expressed disappointment over the cancellation of the Touch Bearer event earlier scheduled for August 31 at Ilaji Hotel and Sports Centre in Ibadan, blaming the development on the poor condition of the road leading to the facility.
In a statement expressing their concerns, the citizens described the cancellation as “deeply painful and disappointing,” while commending the management of Ilaji, particularly Okanlomo Odua, Gbonka Olubadan, Chief Jubril Dotun Sanusi, for the support, generosity and commitment extended towards hosting the event.
They said the hospitality, facilities and resources provided by the management in anticipation of the event demonstrated a high level of goodwill and commitment to the development and promotion of Oyo State.
However, the concerned citizens said the development should serve as a wake-up call for urgent intervention on the Ilaji road, which they described as an important access route to a major economic and tourism destination in the state.
According to them, Ilaji Resort is more than a private facility, as it attracts visitors, creates employment, supports businesses and provides facilities capable of hosting major events.
They argued that the road leading to such an important destination deserved sustained government attention, noting that poor infrastructure could undermine the economic opportunities and tourism potential associated with the facility.
“It is therefore difficult not to feel that the road has been neglected for far too long. Whether the reason is administrative, political or otherwise, the effect is the same: ordinary citizens, businesses, visitors and major events are bearing the consequences,” they said.
The concerned citizens also expressed sympathy over the resources already committed by Chief Dotun Sanusi and the Ilaji management in preparation for the event, as well as the efforts of individuals who worked to ensure its success.
“It is particularly heartbreaking that all these preparations have now been affected by a challenge that, in our humble opinion, should have received urgent attention long before now,” they said.
They said the cancellation was particularly disappointing because thousands of people had been looking forward to the event and the comfort, dignity and safety associated with the Ilaji facility.
“What pains us most is that thousands of people were looking forward to the comfort, dignity and safety that Ilaji Resort offers. The cancellation is therefore more than a change of venue; it represents a missed opportunity to showcase one of Oyo State’s valuable assets,” the concerned citizens said.
The citizens therefore called for urgent and lasting rehabilitation of the Ilaji road, saying the intervention should not be limited to the needs of one event but should be considered in the context of the road’s importance to tourism, enterprise, employment and the broader economic development of the state.
They expressed appreciation to everyone who contributed to the preparations for the event, particularly Chief Jubril Dotun Sanusi and the management of Ilaji, and expressed hope that the setback would ultimately become a catalyst for the long-overdue improvement of the road.



