Hon. Gbenga Joseph Oyekola, the Chief whip of the Oyo State House of Assembly, orchestrated a purposeful town hall meeting at Efunlete in Sooro LCDA, engaging with constituents from the Atiba State constituency on the state of rural development.
The primary objective was to address local concerns, with a particular focus on the pressing need for rural road development.
During the meeting, Oyo assembly Chief Whip, Oyekola underscored the non-political nature of the event, emphasizing inclusivity across diverse demographics—religious, political, economic, and academic. He stressed the importance of collaborative efforts, encouraging participation from representatives across different levels of government and political affiliations.
Hon. Oyekola presented a detailed list of achievements spanning the past six months, showcasing his commitment to the welfare of the constituency.
The accomplishments included self-sponsored projects, active participation in the budgetary process, and motions sponsored in the House of Assembly. Enumerated achievements are as follows:
Self-Sponsored Projects Completed:
- Digging of a deep well at Alagbon Village, Ward 6 – ₦250,000.00
- Repair of Oja Sabo Borehole – ₦300,000.00
- Provision of submersible machine at Bada/Ajadi Borehole, Ward 8 – ₦210,000.00
- Joint rehabilitation of grade A Customary Court at Onireke/Bode Ogbomoso – Collaborative effort with Hon. Representing Oyo East and West.
Ongoing Self-Sponsored Projects:
- Apata Oku Village, Ward 6
- Olugbile Village, Ward 10
- Oja-Koso Gaa Fulani, Ward 10
- Ajonbadi Olodan, Ward 6
- Baale-Agbe Oja, Ward 10
- Ashipa Village, Ward 10
- Alusekere, Ward 10
- Asanmimi, Ward 10
- Kasia Apata, Ward 10
- Kasia Apata Ward 10
- Active role in the 2024 appropriation bill (Budget)
- Sponsored Bill on the reconstruction of Oroki/Erelu/Sooro/Mogaji Road – Included in the 2024 Budget of Oyo State.
- Sponsored Bill on the reconstruction of Sabo/Oranyan/Ijawaya Road
- Motion for the establishment of a Train Terminal in Oyo Town
- Elongation of retirement age for primary school teachers.
- Motion for the rehabilitation of Oyo State Primary School and recruitment of more teachers in Oyo State.
- Motion requesting empowerment for Local Government to perform basic responsibilities, co-sponsored for the rehabilitation of urban roads and grading of rural roads in Oyo State.
- Motion to stop FRSC from further harassing, embarrassing, and penalizing motorists on account of faded plate numbers.
- “Aba fun ki Ijoba yan Ojo kan soto fun Ojo Isese Ile Yoruba ni Ipinle Oyo” – Advocating for August 27 to be dedicated to traditional Yoruba practices.
Assistance on Grants and Aids from State Government:
- Assistance to poultry farmers, providing about 8 bags of maize to approximately 120,000 farmers.
- Support for petty farmers in obtaining Oyo Safers loans
- Aid to teachers in securing car loans and other grants.
- Facilitation of retirees receiving gratuity and pension.
In his address, Hon. Gbenga Oyekola emphasized the critical need for collaborative efforts to address the pressing issue of rural road construction.
He called upon the Oyo Federal House of Representatives member, Hon. Prince Akeem Adeniyi Adeyemi, the senator representing Oyo Central Senatorial district, Sen. Akintunde Yunus, and himself to collaborate on the grading of the rural road before the impending rainy season.
Local leaders, including the LCDA Chairman and a representative from the Federal House of Representatives, expressed support for the initiative.
Plans to constitute a committee and seek assistance for the road construction were discussed, promising a positive outlook for the rural communities in Atiba State Constituency.
Various leaders, including the Bashorun of Oyo land, High Chief Akinade Yusuff Layinka 1, Oba Ganiyu Busari Ajiboye Alago-oja of Ago-Oja land, and other attendees, praised Oyo Assembly Chief Whip, Oyekola for his dedication to the constituency.
The success of the town hall meeting was acknowledged, with gratitude expressed towards all contributors, including religious leaders, traditional rulers, and security personnel.
The town hall meeting concluded with a closing prayer led by the CAN Chairman of the Oyo chapter, Pastor Amos Kehinde Eguntola, marking a successful and impactful gathering focused on comprehensive community development.
In attendance are Oyomesi-in-council led by Basorun of Oyo land, High Chief Yusuff Akinade Layinka 1, the Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Akindele Oyedepo, Akiniku of Oyo, High Chief Amusa Yusuff, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau, Alapo of Oke Apo and Chief Wahab Oyetunji, Aare-ago Basorun of Oyo.
Also in attendance are; Atiba PDP Chairmanship Candidate, Hon. Wahab Waliu Adetunji Wabkem, his Vice, Hon Badmus Olaide Ismail, all Councilorship candidate, Sooro LCDAs Political Head, Hon. Seun Oguntona Olunloyo, representative of Oyo federal constituency House of Reps member, Hon. Taofeeq, Hon. Segun Taiwo, Alhaji Babalola, Hon. Mufutau Tella, Hon. Busari Olarinre Moriyeba.
Others are; Atiba legislative arms led by Hon. Sunday Fadiran, representative of all farmers association of Nigeria (ALFAN), Chairman TOAAN, Alhaji Nurudeen Akindele, Egbe Onisowo Gaari, Baale Olotefon, Baale Omidoogun, Baale Okedoyin and several others.